Late New Year's Party

By Wednesday, January 12, 2011 ,

It was Monday afternoon when I found out that Cainta's Mayor Mon Ilagan organized a dinner party for all the municipality's department heads. Being an OIC for the Engineering Dept., The Memet was also invited, and apparently, everyone was encouraged to bring their spouses. The party was for January 11, 6pm.

Image Source: Google Images
When I found out about this, the first thing I thought was, "Oh no, I've got to work until 10pm...". Then it dawned on me that I was on a 7am-4pm shift on the 11th. The last thing I had to do on Jan 11 was attend a 3-4pm meeting. I knew my meeting was not gonna end at 4pm, so I told The Memet that I can go with him, but I'll probably be a bit late.

The Day: January 11

My supposed 3pm meeting started around 3:30pm. Right then and there, I knew there was no way on earth that I'll be out of the office at 4pm. My meeting ended at 5:30pm. I got in an fx at the back of my office bldg as soon as I can, but we had to wait for the fx to be full before it could leave. I left Makati at 6pm. :-(

After so much ugly traffic and a slight vehicular accident, I arrived home at around 7:10pm. Not bad, I guess, but the dinner party was set at 6pm. The Memet assured me that it wasn't gonna start at 6pm and that I shouldn't worry. I had a terrible time getting dressed for the event because, que horror, I had nothing appropriate for a dinner party! Well, I had some very colorful outfits I could've worn to other dinner parties, but I couldn't wear those to a dinner party with the Mayor and other department heads. Gah!

I settled on a pair of dark slim-fit slacks, a plain army green top, a black short-sleeved cropped blazer, and tan sky high heels.

When we arrived at the venue, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. I was not underdressed. LOL! In fact, I was kinda thinking I should've worn jeans instead since the Mayor's wife was wearing jeans and a tucked in boyfriend polo with a pair of ballet flats.

The party itself was loads of fun. Mayor Mon took on the role of the host and he was really good. He was really funny, as in stand-up comedian funny. Hahaha! There were some DIs for the oldies who wanted to do some ballroom dancing in between the raffle draws. There was also a videoke thing going on. Mayor Mon would assign people to sing in between raffle draws and the dances. Him being the Mayor, no one was able to say no. Hahaha!

I badly wanted to take some pictures but I felt extremely shy. Age-wise, I was really out of place. Well, the Mayor's Exec. Assistant's wife is pretty young, but she was busy with other things so we didn't really get to talk. Actually, everyone was nice. The Mayor and his wife were both extremely laid back and approachable.

We got home a little past midnight, slept around 1:30am... Then I got up around 5:30am for my 8am shift. Ugh.

Anyway, looking back at last night's party, I feel like I have to brush up on my people skills. Sure and fine, you can throw me in front of a training class out of the blue and I wouldn't have any problem pulling it off. I can get along with trainees and co-workers easily enough. But last night's party was a completely different thing for me. If The Memet remains OIC longer, I'm gonna have to seriously learn how to socialize with the people in his circle. Both The Memet and I are both silently wishing that an actual department head would already be assigned to Engineering so that he can go back to his old job. That would mean... More quality time with each other! Ever since he became OIC, he's been extremely busy. So there. We're both always busy and stressed. That's why we still don't have a kid. Hahaha! But, well, that's a different story. :p

Related Posts

0 comments