Stuffs for You!

By Friday, January 14, 2011 ,

I've observed that a lot of people use the word "Stuffs" when referring to a bunch of things. As in, "I have so many stuffs in my closet!". Hmmm.

Image Source: Google Images

Did you know that the word "Stuff" is both the singular and plural form of the word when used as a noun? It's sorta like a collective noun. If you're using it as a verb though, you can use the word "Stuffs" if the subject you are referring to is singular. Did that make any sense? Hahaha! It's hard for me to get too technical because I'm not an English major. Hehe! Here are a few examples to help drive my point across:

Noun: Stuff

          Incorrect: "All the stuffs in my closet are accumulating dust."
          Correct: "All the stuff in my closet are accumulating dust."

Verb: Stuffs

          Example 1: "He who stuffs his mouth full cannot chew".
          If you noticed, the subject in this sentence is "He". It is singular, so we used "stuffs" and not "stuff". It has something to do with subject-verb agreement.

          Example 2: "They are ready to stuff their mouths full".
          In this example, "They" is the subject of the sentence. It's plural, so "stuff" is used.

So there. I hope that made sense. LOL! Again, I'm no English major. I'm a Psychology graduate, so please let me know if I made any errors in explaining this. Hehe! If you have any clarifications or violent reactions, please post them as a comment. I'd like to hear your thoughts. :)

You can also refer to Dictionary.Com for more information on the topic.

Related Posts

6 comments

  1. this is one of the Filipinos great mistake! Once I see them writing or talking this way, I know they're Filipinos haha....great point, especially to the bloggers out there, I'm no perfect either but I don't say "STUFFS" as a noun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sis! Yeah. Hehe! Although I'm not too sure if it's just us Filipinos who make this mistake. Got a lot from Google, just not sure which countries those are from. :)

    It's a common mistake nga talaga. Hope I was able to impart some knowledge through this post. Awareness is key! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on!

    It's the same with the word gear (like camera and backpacking gear). Gear with an "s" refers to mechanical stuff like cogs and wheels. I'm guilty of using the word gears sometimes tho. =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christian! Thanks for sharing! I didn't know about gear/gears. Hehe! =P I'll keep that in mind from now on. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! that's a useful bit of information. parang yung word na "information". it's already in its plural form din. so, mali na sabihing "i know a lot of informations."

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jon! Yup, "informations" is incorrect. It's still "information" no matter what happens. Hahaha! Thanks! Glad people are finding this post useful. :)

    ReplyDelete