Lemming for a New Underwater Camera

By Friday, July 06, 2012 ,

Hey ya'll! I thought being a housewife would give me enough time to blog often, but then our househelp got sick and might not come back anymore and my just-turned-1-year-old Yuki gave birth to 5 puppies; so between those two events and my regular house chores, my days have been rather jam-packed.

I'll write a separate blog post about my puppies. I have so much to gush about. Haha!

So anyway, those of you who know me would probably know that my husband and I are beach people. And being avid beach-goers, we couldn't live without an underwater camera. We can never go to the beach without snorkeling. :)

Our first ever underwater camera was the Canon PowerShot D10.

Source:  http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0902/Canon/canon_D10.jpg
It was tiny, tough, and it took great photos, but I didn't like that I couldn't stick it in my jeans' back pocket. It was kinda bulky plus, they didn't have it in pink (LOL). So when the Sony Cybershot TX5 came out (and oh joy, they had it in pink!), I just had to get one.

Source: Google Images
The husband asked me repeatedly why I wanted to get a new underwater camera given that our D10 was still relatively new at that time and my only response was... "There's a PINK TX5!!!". Because my husband loves me so much (Haha!), he gave in. We sold the D10 to one of my good friends and got the TX5. Yes, in pink of course.

The thing with the TX5 is... It's really compact and very pretty for an underwater camera. It also had this panoramic feature wherein you can take really awesome panoramic photos. In my opinion though, it had a lot of negative points. Here's a few:

   1. It doesn't take good pictures in low light

   2. The lens' slide down cover is a drawback. It takes a while for the back of the slide down cover to dry after the camera's been rinsed.

   3. The "paint" on the slide down cover peels off once the camera's been exposed to a lot of water. Now, because my husband and I went snorkeling a lot, it was exposed to A LOT of water. Not just regular water, but salt water. The cover on my TX5 is no longer pink, but stainless.

   4. The battery latch eventually broke, so every time I open the battery hatch, the battery just comes right out. It makes it difficult to close the hatch when nothing's holding down the battery. Since it's an underwater cam that also claims to be shock proof, I was expecting that it'd be more tough.

   5. It isn't a good idea to have a touch screen panel on an underwater camera. Mine became blotchy, as in really blotchy, after more than a year's use. Probably because it was exposed to a lot of salt water? (But maybe I should've bought a screen protector...)

Despite all these things, the TX5 still seems to be in good working order. It's just not pretty anymore. Here, have a look-see:

Sony Cybershot TX5: FRONT

Sony Cybershot TX5: BACK
Lesson learned: Do not buy an underwater camera just because it's pretty. (LOL!)

With that thought in mind, I think it's high time I get me a more presentable looking camera. I believe in having well-maintained gadgets so that I can sell them at a reasonable price when I need to upgrade. As you can see, the one above's pretty banged up. I wonder if anyone will be interested in buying it... And for how much... Haha! My SLR is way older than our TX5 (It's more than 3 years old and it's also been to a lot of places), but it still looks handsome.

So yeah, I have my eyes on 2 underwater cameras right now:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3

Canon Powershot D20
As you can see, they look like no-nonsense underwater cameras. I haven't done a lot of research on them yet, but it seems that based on what I've read so far, they're both as sturdy as they look. No more flimsy cameras for me. *wink*

I'll do some more research before I finally decide on which one to get. Plus, I need to work on getting my back pay so that I can actually buy a camera. LOL!

But hey, if you have a suggestion on which one I should choose, please feel free to comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Related Posts

0 comments