Battle Against Pimples: An Update

By Friday, August 03, 2012 ,

Dear JDMB: As requested, this post is for you. :)

I never got to post updates about this battle over the years, so here I am again. I'll show you guys some photos from 2009-2012 so that you can see my skin condition over time, and I'll also tell you about the skin care products that I'm using right now.

This post is going to be a little more picture-heavy than usual, so brace yourself. Haha! Let's start off with my "evolution" over the span of a little over 3 years.

2009 - Visible pimple marks.  See how my skin was somewhat reddish? This was around the time I stopped using tretinoin and clindamycin. 

2010 - Benzac had started to clear up my acne. :)

2011 - Still using Benzac. Fairly clear with the occasional zits during "that" time of the month.

2012 - Still on Benzac! :)
So, you see my skin has cleared up considerably. I say considerably, because my skin still isn't perfect - It's oily and I still get my occasional zits - But, I don't get breakouts anymore and most of my pimple marks have already faded. Yep. Most of 'em. Not all of them.

After some trial and error, I have found that these are the products that work best with my oily, acne prone skin:

L-R: Human Nature Balancing Face Toner, Benzac AC 10%, Celeteque Facial Moisturizer SPF 15, Clean & Clear Clear Fairness Moisturizer SPF 30, Human Nature Sunflower Beauty Oil
Now, let's get down to the nitty-gritty of it all. The products below are, more or less, listed in the order of application. :)

One of the most important things in a skin care regimen is your facial wash. I used to use Pond's, Cetaphil, Clean and Clear, Cyleina, and a whole plethora of other facial washes. But I've finally found my HG (Holy Grail) facial wash. The thing about it is... It's not exactly a facial wash. It's a bar of soap. Haha!


Guys, meet By Nature Handmade Soaps' Citrus White. This is what I wash my face with, in the morning and at night. It effectively clears away the oil from my face, and it also aids in lightening whatever acne marks I have left on my skin. :) I love how it leaves my face squeaky clean.


Aside from Citrus White, I also make sure to scrub once or twice a week using Human Nature's Purifying Facial Scrub. I just make sure to scrub real lightly so that I don't end up doing my skin more harm than good. ;) I also make sure to avoid scrubbing the skin around my eyes as it's really sensitive. But I'm sure y'all already know that.


I like this balancing toner. It doesn't do magic tricks by shrinking my pores, eradicating my pimples, and whitening my skin... No it doesn't do that. But what I love about it is that it's 100% natural. It effectively picks up any oil and dirt from my face that my facial wash leaves behind. Also, it doesn't dry out my skin. :)


This product right here is what dries out any pimples that make it to the surface of my skin. Whether I have pimples or not, I make sure to apply a thin layer all over my face at night before I sleep. It helps prevent any breakouts. :) Over time, I've alternated between 5% and 10%. 10% can be a bit drying, but I found that some pimples still sneak past the more watery 5% one. So 10% it is. For me anyway.

If you're interested in also using Benzac for your acne issues, start with the 5% solution. Don't forget to do a skin test to see if you're allergic to it. :)


Even if my skin is uber oily, I have to admit that I really cannot do away with moisturizers. Benzac can really dry out my skin, and when oily skin becomes dried out, it tends to compensate by producing more oil. Now, who wants an oil slick? Not me. :p

I like Celeteque's facial moisturizer with SPF 15 because, true to its claim, it's really non-comedogenic and hypo-allergenic. I have sensitive skin (believe it or not), so it's great that doesn't cause any itching or allergic reactions. It didn't cause me to break out either, so, YEY! The non-comedogenic part wasn't just there for show. :)


This moisturizer I've only been using for a couple of days now. The Celeteque one's working for me, but I still wanted to explore. Clean & Clear's Clear Fairness Moisturizer with SPF 30 is... Okay. It has a creamier feel compared to Celeteque's more watery one. The disadvantage to the creamy texture is that it tends to cake or crease. Yeah, it does that on my oily skin, considering this moisturizer is oil-free. I notice the caking/creasing when I apply face powder or foundation on top of it. I usually have to grab a ball of cotton to rub over it so the creasing would go away.

This moisturizer hasn't made me break out yet though, so I can still finish the bottle without having to deal with pesky pimples. I'm retaining my Celeteque moisturizer once I'm done with this bottle. My foundation/face powder glides on a whole lot better when I use the Celeteque moisturizer. :)


You're probably thinking why I have Sunflower Beauty Oil here on my list. Hehe! Well, I found out that I can actually use this as a night moisturizer. I just use a teeny tiny bit. I make it a point to also apply the oil to my eye area to help prevent wrinkles. At my age, one usually starts worrying about such things. I'm just thankful that I don't have wrinkles yet. I guess that's one advantage of having oily skin. :) But, I don't want to throw caution to the wind when it comes to such things because as they say, prevention is better than cure. So, I'm all about prevention.

A plus to using sunflower oil as a night moisturizer? I found that it lightens my stubborn pimple marks. Yes, yes. I still have pimple marks, but they're not as prominent as before anymore. And with the sunflower oil, even the stubborn ones are slowly starting to fade out. :D

So there you have it. Those are all the products that I'm currently using on my face. If you noticed, I don't use any chemical peels or tretinoin, or any of the like. I'm afraid of applying anything too harsh on my skin. And I'm afraid of my skin ending up burnt when I step out in the sun for 30 minutes (That happens to overly chemically treated skin, right?). So, to be on the safe side, I'm sticking to mostly natural products. :) I may still not have perfect skin, but then again, no one's perfect, right? Well, unless you have the moolah to go to Dr. Belo or the Calayans. Hehe!

None of the products here also promise instant results. The thing with skin care products is, they have to be consistently and religiously applied. Patience is key - alongside finding your HG products. :)

I hope that you find your HG products by way of my post here. :) But, please remember that although we may have the same skin type (oily / acne prone), it doesn't necessarily mean that the products I'm using will work on you too. If you have severe acne, or if your acne's really persistent, it's still best to consult a dermatologist. Sometimes, there are other internal issues that affect our skin.

I guess I'll leave you with a shameless plug before I close this entry (LOL). If you're interested in By Nature Handmade Soaps and/or Human Nature products, feel free to let me know. I'm a registered dealer for both. Hehe! (I don't sell products I don't believe in).

Well. Toodles and good luck! :)

Related Posts

14 comments

  1. I was battling with pimples as well in late 2010. I was given Benzac too and it worked, along with laser treatment and peels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis! You have a new blog! Hehe. Nice to hear from you again. :)

    How's your skin doing now? A whole lot better, I hope. :)

    I'm still curious about other anti-acne products on the market. I'm looking to try Proactiv. Well, hubby ko actually. Benzac doesn't seem to be enough for his skin. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too is on a journey on fighting with my acne skin. I've tried a lot of products and some does work while most just worsen my skin condition. I'm quite interested on the bar soap as it aims on lightening acne scars as I've struggling to get rid of them for years. I'll definitely try the soap and hope it works on me too! Thanks for sharing ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I am just really curious why you prefer using Celeteque and Clean and Clear moistiurizers over Human Nature's day and night moisturizers? Hehe. I haven't really heard about their moisturizers yet. I wanna try them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet! I hope you're able to try By Nature Handmade Soaps. Citrus White & Fair Geranium works real well on my skin. :)

    Hello Justinne! Right now, I'm finding I like Celeteque moisturizers better over Clean and Clear and Human Nature's day and night moisturizers for the simple reason that Celeteque moisturizers agree with my skin. Hehe!

    With Clean and Clear kasi, I realized eventually that it makes my skin real greasy and it has a thick, powdery feel too it, so my powder foundation tends to appear cakey. On top of that, my foundation tends to streak when I use an oil control film to remove excess oil. :(

    With Human Nature's Day & Night Moisturizers naman, I found that they also make my skin oily. Not necessarily sticky-oily, but just oily. Hehe. Plus I seem to lose my glow when it's the HN moisturizers that I'm using. I don't get break outs, but the pimples seem to stick around, one coming out soon as the other one's gone. I don't know. I guess I'm just not hiyang... Which is kinda sad at the same time, coz I really like organic products...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am using the Nourishing Facial Toner at the moment but I find stinging and burning sensations after applying it on my face. I was wondering if you feel the same on the hydrating facial toner? And... If your skin is oily, why did you choose using the hydrating toner instead of the balancing toner? Isn't the hydrating toner for dry skin? :)

    Anyway, I like your skin care regimen! I am also quite interested in the soap so I might as well try it! :) Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chin! Thanks for dropping by. :) I actually use Human Nature's Balancing Toner, not the hydrating one. The balancing toner doesn't sting or anything, but it sure lifts the dirt and grime that regular washing leaves behind. Hehe!

    Please do try By Nature's soaps. Check out my online shop: www.facebook.com/TheMemetShop I'm a By Nature dealer din. Hehe! (Shameless plugging...) :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dianne! Have you tried the human heart nature facial wash? I saw it first at goods.ph (https://www.goods.ph/human-heart-nature-balancing-facial-wash-4770.html), and I'm very curious of its effectiveness. I've seen many positive feedbacks that caught my attention. Thanks you sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ashley! I've tried it and it's okay. It's not drying, but leaves your face feeling squeaky clean. I stopped using it as my daily facial wash because it has little scrubby bits, and my skin's a little sensitive at times.

      Delete
  9. Are you still using the same skin care regimen until now? Can you please share with us some photos of your skin now? I’m interested because I want to try your regimen :)


    organic products for acne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I made a few changes because I broke out again last year. Will post an update in a few weeks. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi! I enjoyed reading your post! I want to ask if you're still using the sunflower oil? I wanted to try it. Hope you will be able to post an update thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheena! Thank you! :)

      I'm still using the sunflower oil, but not on my face anymore (I'm using a different moisturizer now).

      I frequently get scratches from my dog, so I use the sunflower oil on my scratches. It helps the scars fade. :) When I don't have plans of going out, I use it on my underarms as well. :)

      Delete
  11. I've been using the sunflower oil for 4 days now and I'm getting spots and pimples on my face. why!!!! they were never there before.

    ReplyDelete