Taal Volcano Trek

By Monday, January 14, 2013 ,

A couple months back, during one of my cousins' birthday, we went on a trek to the crater of Taal Volcano. Lemme tell you about our experience. :)


Oh, but before that. Did you know that the famous "Taal Volcano" that people kept showing us in pictures when we were kids is NOT the actual Taal Volcano? Bummer, huh.


So anyway. We didn't let that bring us down. Haha! We hopped on a boat and braved the scary waves to see the real Taal Volcano crater. The boat ride took around 15-20 minutes.

TIP: You can haggle with the men who have BOAT RIDE signs along the roads in Tagaytay. They're usually cheaper than the packages in hotels, B&B's, inns, etc. If I remember correctly, we got our boat for P1500.


Once we reached the volcano island, we paid the necessary permits, and being the lazy people that we were, paid for our horses too. Haha! We were told that the trek to the crater could take around 30 minutes on foot. On horse back, it was supposed to be only 15-20 minutes. Now, we knew our capabilities, and we were correct to assume that we weren't going to reach the crater in 30 minutes if we went on foot. Hahaha!

We paid around P500 bucks for each of our horses.


Oh. The 15-20 minute trek on horse back didn't hold true for me, by the way. My horse, although my guide claimed he was just fed before we left, seemed to have a stomach as big as an elephant. He must've felt like he was in a buffet on the trail. Just took his sweet time munching on leaves and grass and whatever.

He farted a lot too.

But I was really happy with my horse. He had... character. Hahaha!


When you reach your destination, the guides will help you get off the horses and then the horses will be led to their resting/snack area.

You'll still need to climb several steps before you can finally see the crater.

And so... Here's a view from the top. See the trail? Kinda far, huh.


From the top, you can also see the mountain that was pretending to be Taal Volcano. (Can't get over that. Haha!)


And of course, here's the actual crater lake. It's a whole lot bigger than the other one that was pretending to be the volcano. You can't even walk around the ridge (duh).

Once there, you can take pictures, walk around, rest, drink water, etc. Oh, but don't buy water from the vendors there. Too expensive. It'll be best if you bring your own snacks and drinks.


You can also whack a few golf balls into the crater and see them float in mid-air before finally breaking the lake's surface. Pretty cool stuff.

Kyle here had a pretty good arm and the locals there were pretty impressed with how far he was able to hit the golf balls.

's 

Overall, we had lotsa fun. It was quite a dirty experience though, so before I end this post, I'll leave you with a couple of tips. :)

Tip # 1: As mentioned above, bring your own drinks and snacks. If you must bring a bag with you, use a backpack. It'll make the trek (whether on foot or on horseback) a lot easier.

Tip # 2: Wear sunscreen! The trail doesn't have much shade as it's elevated. Sunscreen's a must.

Tip # 3: Wear shades, especially if you're a contact lens user. It can get pretty windy on the trail, and even more so on the ridge. Expect a lot of dust flying everywhere, so don't forget to protect your eyes.

Tip # 4: If you decide that you want to go on horseback, wear jeans or leggings to protect your legs. Expect a lot of friction on your inner thighs while the horse is walking. I was wearing shorts during the trip, so yeah. It wasn't only uncomfortable. It was bordering on painful.

Tip # 5: When you get back to the jump off point in Talisay, Batangas, take some time to clean up. You can shower, or if you're fine with being gritty, just wipe off. Expect a lot of sand and/or dust to stick to your skin (even more so if you wear sunscreen). When we got back to our boat after the trek, my feet were grayish in color (I was wearing flip flops) and my face felt like it was covered in a thick layer of dust/sand. I swear. So yeah. You'll need a shower after the whole deal. :p

As for the expenses, forgive me, but I can't give you a detailed breakdown. I know, I know... Bad blogger. :( This trip happened sometime in October last year and I wasn't able to take a single note. It would, however, be safe to say that you'll need around P1000-P1500 per person.

So there. I hope I was of some help to you guys! :)

Related Posts

4 comments

  1. You look so happy. :)

    I've only been to Taal oce.. when I was in high school. Would love to visit the place again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! Thanks! :) I was actually very happy coz of my farty horse. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!I've never been here kasi I've always had the impression na nakakatakot...but the place is so beautiful pala! hope i can finally see it up close...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Timeless Confection! Yes, the place is really beautiful. You should go see it when you visit Tagaytay again. :)

    ReplyDelete