Haunted House Hunting

By Wednesday, February 06, 2013

It seems 2013 is my year for visiting creepy old houses. To prove it, the first place we visited on January 1st of 2013 is the famous Bahay na Pula (Red House) in San Ildefonso, Bulacan. It's along the National Highway, right on the left side, after the town proper so you really can't miss it. If you regularly travel to San Miguel, Bulacan or up to Nueva Ecija, you've probably seen this house that I'm referring to.



That fateful morning, we were on our way to visit my mom's side of the family in Bulacan, when we decided to drop by the Bahay na Pula. I've been there a couple times before, but the last time I actually went inside was when I was a kid. Back then, the house still had its furnishings and some of the bedrooms upstairs even came with a skull or two. Yep. Creepy much? Hehehe!

My mom used to have sleep overs with her friends in this house when they were kids, and she said that they heard stuff like chains dragging on the hardwood floor, balls and coins bouncing down the stairs... And there was also this story about how there was hidden treasure underneath the house. Old folks said that it's guarded by snakes, so whenever people tried to dig, they didn't get anything because snakes just came out of the earth. Not a big fan of snakes, so... *SHIVER*

Anyway, we're lucky that the caretakers of the Bahay na Pula are some of our relatives, so we were allowed to go inside when we visited early this year.

It was kind of disappointing to see the current state of the inside of the house. It's been pretty much gutted. The narra furniture were all gone, there was dust everywhere, and the 2nd floor was already sagging.




In the picture above, you'll see my dad standing at the entrance to the 2nd floor. It looks like one big open space now, but there were actually several rooms there. It was creepier back then when it still had doors and corridors. Now, it just looks like one old, sad place. :(




For some weird reason, the stairs really gave me the creeps. Even now, just looking at the pictures still gives me goosebumps. Haha! We didn't really hear or see anything when we went there, but being the scaredy-cat that I am, I was still pretty scared while we were inside the house.

I don't know for certain who owns the house, and for the life of me, I don't know why I didn't ask. But they must be filthy rich to not pay any mind to this big old property in Bulacan. The lot area's pretty huge, and though the house is mostly useless by now, they can still probably sell the wood and just build a new one. Haha!

I would really love to visit the Bahay na Pula after dark, just to see if I'll have any freaky encounters. But then again... Maybe not. LOL!



If you're thinking that the house looks familiar, well, you're right. You've probably seen it in some Filipino horror movies. This is also the house where they shot Oka Tokat, a Filipino horror tv series that started in 1997 and ended sometime in 2002. :)

Related Posts

23 comments

  1. Pakifeature naman po yung Haunted House along Dr. Gonzales Sy., Baliuag, Bulacan. pls. thanks po.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually looking closely at your pictures, thinking I might see some kind of a ghost you might probably have caught on camera:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope you didn't find anything. Haha! *Scared*

      Delete
  3. Is this open for public po? Will I get the chance to enter the house too? Can you give me a contact please? Thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! I'm not sure if it's open to the public... It just so happens the caretaker is a distant relative of my mom's. We don't have his cellphone number, but feel free to drop by and ask if they can let you in. :)

      Delete
  4. pang 5th photo sa may hagdanan I see a picture ng isang old man sa may right side ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaaah! I checked again... I don't see anything. But I'm freaked out... Hahaha!

      Delete
    2. this house is very familiar to me kc during my high school days in st.john school sa san ildefonso lagi kaming dumadaan jan ...ngayon nkita ko yung mga pictures inside nya and this made me think kung ito na lang kaya ang ipag tithesis ko..this house is perfect to conserve as a architecture student sana magkaron ako ng opportunity na mapag aralan itong house na to for my thesis ..

      Delete
  5. Hi! I'm glad that this post helped you think of a topic for your upcoming thesis. Feel free to drop by at the Bahay na Pula and look for the caretaker. I'm sure they'll be more than accommodating. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! How can we gain access to the Bahay na Pula? A friend and I are extremely interested to visit it very soon. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Hi there! A friend and I are extremely interested to visit the Bahay na Pula. How can we gain access to it? Thanks in advance.

      Delete
    3. Hello! Just drop by and look for the caretaker. :)

      Delete
  6. hi.can we still visit the house even if its 12 in the midnight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The caretaker and his family might already be asleep by then.

      Delete
  7. Hi im a Multimedia Student studying at Mapua Intramuros. My team and I want to do a documentary about this house for our finals. do you think that the care taker would let us stay there for a couple of hours or possibly a whole night alone. we will be bringing a, Spiritualist? inside if we ever find one. and there will be a Guardian waiting for us Outside. In total we are 5-6 give or take. and we would also like to interview him :) what are your thoughts on this ate? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nico! I'll try to find out for you. Can you send me an e-mail? :)

      dmpgutierrez[at]gmail[dot]com

      Delete
    2. Thank you po :D ill sen you an e mail ASAP :DD

      Delete
  8. Hey... I remember this! I used to see Bahay na Pula every time I travel up North, and go back to my place at San Ildefonso, Bulacan (yes, I also reside there, though barely a few kilometers away from that one—and it lies somewhere in the fields).

    So the stories about the house were apparently true, eh? Though I wonder: is there a chance about Bahay na Pula getting renovated? Sad situation to notice its downside (though made me cringe either).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! We drove by the Bahay na Pula last week. It's been stripped completely bare na and I was told someone already bought the property. Looks like they'll be building a new structure over it.

      Delete
  9. don't you get it? the answer is always "the caretaker". why don't you just go there and look for the friggin caretaker from hell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello po mag cconduct po kasi kami ng feasibility study for dark tourism.. tatanong ko lang po kung nandun lang o b tlga lagi ung caretaker??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis! So sorry, we drove by the place last week and I was told the property's been bought na. It looks like they'll be building a new structure in its place...

      Delete
  11. Hi, are you sure that they sold it? Pretty please answer me the right thing.

    ReplyDelete