Vigan Calesa Tour: Part 4

By Thursday, October 31, 2013 ,

This is going to be my second to the last post about our Vigan calesa tour from earlier this year. I didn't realize until now that it was a five-part tour. Not bad for one that lasted around 2.5 hours. Hehe!

The fourth leg of our calesa tour was The Hidden Garden. Let me just straight out say that I think people call it The Hidden Garden coz it's so darned far from where all the action is in Vigan. I'm thinking it took us close to 30 minutes just to get there (from the Bell Tower). But then I could possibly be exaggerating. I mean, everything seemed to be moving in slow-mo while we were in the calesa so... It probably didn't take that long. Haha!

So. Care to join me while I go through our Hidden Garden pictures? :)

The entrance to the place looks rather simple. Nothing grand or special about it. But well, it gets the point across.


Once you're inside, there's a little corner that has pictures of the celebrities that have visited the place. There were quite a lot. I wondered what it was going to take to get our pictures framed and put up there. Haha!


And, of course, there was a souvenir corner.


Let's go inside the garden, shall we?


Okay. First off, DO NOT FORGET to bring a bottle of insect repellent. The place has tons of plants so mosquitoes and other bugs are to be expected. Apply it before you go in. I made the mistake of waiting until I got bitten before I slathered on some bug repellent.

Yes, that's me about to apply some repellent. I don't know why The Memet found it photo-worthy. Haha!


After slathering on some bug repellent, we wandered around and saw lots and lots of... plants. It is, after all, a garden. :p






Before you exit, you'll find an area where they sell some refreshments. As you can see, they have the FAMOUS Vigan empanada on the menu. We gave it a shot but found that it wasn't all that good. It seems the empanada we got has been cooked for several hours already. They just reheated it by deep frying it and then handed it to us while it was still dripping in oil. Not entirely pleasant.

It would've been a whole lot better if they made an effort to sell yummy Vigan empanada. I mean, what's the point of eating stale Vigan empanada when you're in Vigan? Some people (like The Memet and I) go to Vigan to get a taste of the real thing.

I'm sure you get what I mean.


In summary, our visit to The Hidden Garden was mostly forgettable. I guess it would've been a better experience if they had a guide who'd explain what the plants around the garden were instead of leaving the tourists to just wander aimlessly. On the other hand, aimless wandering's fine - IF there were significant views to behold. Probably would be nice if there were lots of picturesque nooks and crannies. In this case, the place was just really lacking for us. There wasn't any excitement. And the food wasn't even good. Sigh. I'll say no more.

Does anyone have any exciting experiences in The Hidden Garden? :)

Related Posts

0 comments