Basic Photography Tips & Tricks for Bloggers

By Thursday, November 20, 2014 , ,

As many of you probably know by now, I have a thing for photography. I've never attended any kind of workshop before, so many of my photos (using my DSLR) have always been taken on full-auto.


Enter 'Basic Photography Tips & Tricks for Bloggers'.

When I heard about this workshop, I jumped at the chance to sign-up because I'm a sucker for continuous self-improvement. I don't believe in being stagnant when it comes to learning. I always want to learn, learn, learn! *wink*

The workshop happened last Nov. 8 in Bonifacio High Street's Fully Booked branch. It was the same day that Canon PhotoMarathon 2014 was held in the same area. I felt extra inspired that day because I saw so many photographers roaming around Bonifacio High Street's pedestrian friendly neighborhood.

There were two major speakers present that day, and I'll let you in on the things that I learned from them.

1. Basic Photography by John Cailao 

John discussed point of focus, composition, and even taught us the basics of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. 



We had a few minutes to tinker with our camera settings, too. I initially sat at the 2nd row, but my friend Donna of Honey's Haven pulled me to sit at the front row and I've never been more grateful. Haha!


Here's a sample shot that I was able to take with my Fuji X30 on manual settings.


Not bad, eh? I wish we had more time so that all of us could have had some hands-on experience on the theories that were discussed, but I guess a full-on photography workshop can't happen in 1 hour. Hehe! The lack of time might sound like a set-back, but it inspired me to further learn how my camera works in order to take non-mediocre pictures.

Aside from the basics in photography, my favorite tip from John when taking photos is to not think about how you look while taking that photo. Haha! I tend to be self-conscious, but he had a point there. If you need to crouch or sit on the floor, or do whatever, then do it. Sometimes a change in angle is all it takes to make your ordinary photo more extraordinary.

2. Blogging and Online Publishing with Photos by Azrael Coladilla

Blogger-extraordinaire, Azrael Coladilla of Azrael's Merry Land, shared with us the things that bloggers needed in order to make interesting and engaging blog posts. One of the keys? Publishing good photos.

Here's a photo of him unloading his magical bag. There sure was a lot of stuff in there!


When taking photos for your blog, you don't necessarily need to have expensive cameras. A cellphone would do, so long as you know how to take clear and interesting photos with it. Sir Azrael taught us how best to watermark our photos, and where to sell them too! And because of his talk, I re-activated my Flickr account. Haha!


I had a lot of fun listening to Sir Azrael's stories about his experiences in taking photos during events. He shared a lot of tips on what to do and what not to do when photographing celebrities or well-known personalities, as well as tips on how to photograph food!

Overall, the workshop inspired me to up my photography skills. And guess what? I won a free pass to Nikon School's Basic Photography Workshop for this weekend! Yey! I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Hahaha!

Anyway, I'd like to thank the organizers for coming up with this event. I had a lot of fun meeting other bloggers. :)

Thanks to the following for making the event possible:


Before I end this post, here's a group shot taken by sir Azrael at the end of the workshop. :)

Photo Credit: Azrael Coladilla (http://azraelsmerryland.blogspot.com/)

Related Posts

6 comments

  1. Pupunta sana ko dito eh kaya lang nalayuan ako tinamad ako He He He. Gusto ko sana matutunan yung using a smartphone,yun lang kasi ang gamit ko ngaun hindi pa kasi ako nakakabili ng battery ng SLR ko (wawa). I saw Aubrey from ReigningStill on the pic!

    --- nhengswonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayang, I would've loved to meet you! Pero I understand kung baket di ka nakapunta. Ako din madalas tamaan ng katamaran pag malayo ang pupuntahan. LOL! Bili ka na ng battery for your SLR sis!

      Yes, Aubrey was my seatmate during the workshop. Haha! Her baby's adorable!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I went here too, but I didn't see you. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend and I were practically seated next to you. Hehehe! Hope to see you at other events. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hi, thanks for posting such a nice post. It is not only useful for the beginners but also helpful for other experienced Photography lovers.

    Camera and Laptop Bag

    ReplyDelete