Dear Memet Diaries, Why Do You Still Blog?

By Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Blogger

In this day and age, the blogging world seems to be chock-full of issues, politics, and drama. Sometimes, I can't help but compare it to the mind-numbing world of celebrities. Blogging nowadays seems to be a popularity contest - most likely brought about by the need to get more views, shares, etc. to satisfy brands who are constantly on the lookout for blogger endorsers.

Gone are the days when a blog was more like an online journal for most people.

For someone like me who's been blogging since Live Journal and Xanga - geez, early 2000's - and didn't fully transition to the concept of commercial blogging (full-time blogging or professional blogging), this modern world of blogging has sort of left me bewildered.

How many times did I just mention the word "blogging" in the paragraphs above? LOL.

The thing is, I'm not popular. I'm probably only popular among the people I know. But then again, aren't we all, in one way or another?

I'm not pretty, so I never could ride the fashion or beauty blogger bandwagon. I'm photogenic, but only sometimes. My photos are mostly awkward or wacky. I'm short, slightly fair (not "artista" white), and I'm not skinny. I rarely take selfies (My IG feed is proof: @MemetDiaries), because I hardly ever know what to do with my face. I don't have perfect, flawless skin. I have imperfections and insecurities, but don't get me wrong. I'm (somewhat) comfortable in my own skin. Comfortable enough to admit to myself that I'll never be a fashion or beauty blogger. Haha!

Over the past couple of years, I've somewhat transitioned to posting more about travel and food. I can't fully claim I'm a travel and food blogger though, because I don't travel as much as a legit travel blogger does. Hello, limited funds. I don't eat out a lot either. Hello, diet - and yeah, limited funds. Haha!

I have decent writing skills. My grammar's okay. But no, I don't think I can make the cut as an enthralling story-teller. (Makes me wonder how many of you are still reading up to this point. LOL!)

Okay, I got distracted by the tree outside my window... What was I getting at?

Hmmm.

I guess to cut the long story short, I never did take off, or there was never a lift-off for me as a blogger. At least I don't feel like I ever did. Unlike other blogs, mine only gets an average of 250 views per day. Yes, I'm putting the figure out there even though marketers would probably frown on the measly 250 views that I get. (Note: 250 is an average. So yes, sometimes it's way lower than that).

So. Memet Diaries, why do you still blog?


I thought that question through while I was playing Candy Crush earlier (yes, I still play Candy Crush), and here, folks, are my 2 reasons:

Reason # 1. My blog is my little corner in cyberspace. Yes, times have changed, but I refuse to give up this little corner that I call mine. My blog posts are a reflection of myself. I like knowing that I can always go back and read what I wrote years and years before, and that I can always laugh at myself for being silly over what seemed like a big deal to me before, but was actually nothing but nonsense. (Double negative? Haha!)

Reason # 2. So I'm not popular. I don't get thousands or hundreds of thousands of views per day. But 250 views? That sounds significant enough to little ol' me. Sure, I don't get frequent comments from anyone, but it's enough to know that somehow, people are reading what I post. Yeah, sometimes I post insignificant things or random thoughts like this one, but I like to think that some of my posts were able to serve as inspiration to some people, or that some of them were useful one way or another.

I could only think of two reasons, but to me, that's enough to justify to myself that I shouldn't pull the plug on my blog - yes, the thought has crossed my mind.

So I just rambled on about why I still blog. What about you, dear reader? Why do you still come here and read what I write? While we're at it, what kind of posts would you like me to write about more?

Seriously looking forward to hearing from people. Folks, seriously. Help me out here. :p

Related Posts

19 comments

  1. I read you because you are awesome. And real. And I miss bloggers like you. Those who post about their lives and not because it's a sponsored one. Geesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thanks, Aubs! *Big Hug* I have to agree with you. I also miss reading "real life" blogs. There doesn't seem to be a lot of us anymore. Or maybe there are others, but they're just like me - unpopular. Haha!

      Delete
    2. There are still a lot of personal blogs like the ones I'm following specifically the financial blogs those who blog about their budgets hehehe. I love personal blogs too because I myself is unpopular though I am still joining comment exchange because its fun. I also post PR's from time to time. But I still want to remind myself on why I started to blog because I want to have an outlet with my arts and craft. Kasi baka kapag nakalimutan ko kung bakit ako nagbablog, baka mawalan din ako ng gana.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Neri! Yeah. I'm glad I decided to pause and reflect, because it helped remind me why I still do it. :)

      Delete
  2. I miss Xanga and LiveJournal. I started browsing in the early 2000.

    You are one authentic blogger out there. You are unique. Dianne continue blogging!

    Hello from VICMADZ.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Vic from vicmadz.com! Thank you for the encouragement. I shall continue blogging. Hehe! :)

      Delete
  3. Like what I mentioned in your BNP FB group, you're a good writer. Your blog posts are interesting and enjoyable to read.

    The readers you've gained read your posts because they love to.

    I truly hope you keep on blogging, Dianne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you! I miss reading blogs like yours, the kind that really speaks from the heart. Don't mind the other popular ones as long as you are happy with what you are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Thanks for the encouragement, Kristine! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm a little tired of reading blogs about reviews, events and ootds LOL Glad to know there's still a few of us who still blog for the sake of self-expression. Our blogs serve as our personal virtual space that we share with our readers, not a fancy classified ads website. Cheers to us! :)

    Eleigh
    WhateverBabe | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at fancy classified ads website! Haha! Yes, cheers to us, indeed! :)

      Delete
  6. Diaaaaanne! Just keep on posting and we'll keep on reading. Who cares about the figures, most of them were probably artificially earned anyway lol. Don't worry, popular bloggers started out small din naman. When I got my first restaurant invite, I thought this is it! I'm taking offff! I'm eating for free! HAHA but it gets tiring din. All the effort, competition, politics, it gets to you. Then you go back to blogging for yourself, for the pleasure of it, and realize that it feels waaaaaay better cos you get to keep your identity intact. hahaha Hope to see you again! ;D Keep blogging! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaaaaan! Haha!

      What you said's true. Blogging because it brings you pleasure, that feels way better than having to compromise your identity just so you can make a product or a brand fit your image. Hehe!

      I hope to see you again too! I believe it's already been a year. Hehe! :)

      Delete
  7. A new follower here. Continue to inspire people because many bloggers or writes lost their interest in sharing their thoughts but once they see people who continue to do what they love their passion comes back. More powers to you Dianne. <3

    www.ajeinomoto.com | Spices & Everything Nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeini! Thanks for following, and welcome to my little corner in cyberspace! Hehe! :) More power to you and your blog too! :)

      Delete
  8. I guess my 1st comment didn't get posted hehe. Anyway~

    I read this while I was with blogger friends and we were talking about how different the blogging scene is now from a few years back.

    Whenever I start feeling down about my blogs, I remind myself why I started this in the first place. My blogs are my virtual happy place and without them I wouldn't have met amazing people, traveled, and know myself better. Hell, I bet I would be stuck in misery from my heartbreak haha!

    Little by little I am stepping away from events because it gives me stress. I find it that I'm somewhat reluctant to share about my life, which defeats the purpose. I'm in the process of tying loose ends as well.

    Keep calm and blog on, Dianne! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dems! Nope, didn't see the first one. Hehe! :p

      The blogging world is so different na, diba? So many issues among bloggers these days. But yeah, I'm glad I'm still blogging because I wouldn't have met you and other amazing bloggers!

      Good luck with your loose ends. And same goes for you, 'Keep calm and blog on'! See you sa SM events? Dito nalang tayo sa malapit. Hehehe! :)

      Delete
    2. Agree on the dramatic change in the blogosphere. Miss na miss ko ng magbasa ng real-life stories. Actually, come to think of it, even MY own blog is starting to be less real-life. Minsan kasi nakakatakot to post and then be judged. But bloggers like you and Frances (topaz horizon) remind me that yeah, iba na ang mundo natin pero madami padin yung gusto ng dati. Kaya push. :)

      Delete